Sunday, March 16, 2008

How times have changed within 3 years?

3 years ago, I was still a fresh graduate from SP waiting to go NS. Everything was smooth as I manage to get offers from NUS & NTU. And expected I accepted NTU and book my place till I entered NTU two years later. Now looking at the situation right now, I would be worried if I am the one applying for a place in uni nowadays.

On yesterday newspaper, it was reported that some A levels student with 7 A's is worried that they might not get into the Medicine as there are 260 applicants for approx. 60 places. To me, achieving 7 A's was a uphill task for me since I have already struggled during my O levels days. They also see a record applicants for this year university places. Gone are the days where average grade students is guaranteed a place in uni. Every place in uni is being competed and students are trying to do more social work to boost up the resume of their applicants. Come' on, a genuine volunteer won't quit social work after after being accepted a place in uni, is the passion and interest. My brother and ZhengXiang are both genuine cases which have put interest and passion into it.

Are we changing to become a realistic future? Everything you see is about realistic and not about passion and interest. Nowadays, students are more realistic in their choice of the course as they wish to get a easy course that can earn big bucks. The courses are business, mass comm., facilities management and life sciences. Where are the engineering courses? Well those are the one students think are difficult and low paying jobs as compare to jobs in the banking and finance center. I personally take Computer Science (an engineering course), because of my interest and passion. I must admit it is a difficult course to study and not one of the best paying jobs out there after the Internet world went bust in early 2002.

I got friends who think that I'm crazy when I decided on computer as my course of study during poly days. The IT world seems to be crumbling apart from those days and life sciences are the in thing. But something tell me that IT is still my choice. Government had been encouraging students to take up engineering courses but till now, it had been deemed as a tough and low paying job. After going through my NS, I feel nothing is easy. One must still work hard to achieve what he/she wants. I still will stay on the IT industry even though the other industry is booming as that is my interest and passion.

Maybe some of our friends who studied in uni is to get a degree and start working for other industry (banking and finance) to achieve higher pay checks, but for those who decided to stick with their industry are the rare one now. Maybe parents nowadays influenced their children on their choice of their career, but I'm glad my parents just let me choose where I want to go next after my O levels.

Before I end this post, ask yourself this question: Are you studying based on passion and interest or getting a huge paycheck in a booming industry?

Out.

1 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chose to study business finance because of my passion and interest. I am glad that you know what you want. Crave a career, don't just land a job. Enjoy what you do. Be happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home